Earlston High School is a comprehensive, non-denominational, secondary school for pupils from first to sixth year. Earlston is a rural town which stands on the A68 about 35 miles south of Edinburgh.
The other towns in the catchment area are Melrose, St.Boswells, Newtown St.Boswells, Lauder and Gordon. The catchment area also includes the villages of Bowden, Oxton, Darnick, Gattonside and Westruther.
The school roll has risen from 111 in 1965 to the present 903. It is expected that the roll will continue to rise over the next few years. The expected roll by 2009 is 1000.
Message from the Rector
Welcome to the website of Earlston High School. We hope the contents will give you an insight into the activities and values of the school.
Pupils enter Secondary School as children and leave as adults. During this time the school aims to educate young people to the highest standards of excellence to become full, confident and active members of the community. We are committed to a positive learning environment where achieving to our full potential is central to all we do. Academic attainment is obviously important but we also pride ourselves on creating opportunities for participation in a full range of extra curricular activities.
We are proud of the support the school receives from our parents and the wider school community and we do all we can to foster and develop this.
To sum up, our school tries to offer as much as possible to our pupils, and much is expected of our pupils and their parents or guardians. This approach has been successful in the past but we are constantly working on further improvements. If you have a suggestion or need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be pleased to help.
The Aims of the School
The History of Our School
In 1877 Two Earlston schools were
amalgamated to form Earlston Public School.
Until 1967 The school was a combined
Primary and Junior Secondary School.
In 1967 The
name of the school was changed to Earlston High School and the
secondary department received all pupils from Lauder, Channelkirk,Gordon,
Westruther and Hume.
In 1974 The school
was upgraded to full 6 year status.
In 1976 Melrose was added to the
By 1982 The new extension and the
conversion work to the existing buildings were completed.
In 1982 Newtown St.Boswells and
St.Boswells were added to the catchment area.
In 1983 Earlston Primary School
became a separate school with its own headteacher.
In 2009 Earlston High School moved to new premises.